Zucchini & Carrot Fritters or Pancakes – depending on how you make them! This recipe is super fast and makes good use of any zucchini that still be hanging about your garden! As mentioned on the FB Fan page, I found a few rogue zucchinis growing when I went to pull & plow in the garden.
Zucchini & Carrot Fritters/Pancakes -
Best for those 8 months of age and over. Contains eggs and milk or cheese. Exchange the cayenne with a bit of garlic powder if desired. Make a cucumber yogurt dip to dip these in! Yum!
What You Need:
1 medium carrot (peeled)
1 medium zucchini
1 small onion
1/3 cup ricotta cheese *
1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or all purpose)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or black pepper and/or garlic powder
*Skip ricotta and sub in 1/3 cup of milk if you prefer
1. Wash the vegetables.
2. Grate carrot and zucchini and chop the onion.
3. Mix together the vegetables, ricotta cheese (or milk), egg, flour and pepper in a mixing bowl.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (1 if you are using a small pan) to the pan warm on medium heat
5. Place large spoonfuls of the batter in the heated fry pan, flatten and cook for 7 minutes or until golden.
6. Turn to other side and cook a further 7 minutes or until golden. Serve with cucumber yogurt dip
I made these (pict above) last night and tried an alternate method:
Doubled everything and added more flour to have a more “pancake-y” texture
Added a pinch of curry powder and pepper, skipped the cayenne.
I tried to add apples but they grated too mushy – need to use Macs next time.
Very good but I think we like them less “pancake-y” better!
Cut the fritters into pieces that your baby will be able to handle. You could also bake these at 375F, on a lightly olive oiled baking sheet for approx 20-25 minutes. Turn half way through cooking and be sure to check on the progress often to avoid burning.
Recipe from the Summer Squash for Baby page at