Easy to Make Homemade Products to Care for Baby’s Skin
Here are a few recipes for homemade baby care products; nurture your baby’s skin and hair with these easy to make body care products. These natural baby care products and recipes are simple and allow you to know exactly what’s on baby’s body.
Homemade Herbal Baby Oil for Bath, Body & Massage
By Pennie Mills, LMT of Ladies Blend Thymes
Herbal baby oil is easy to make, and nice to have on hand to use on delicate baby skin anytime of the year.
Supplies to Have Ready:
- Clean Dry Jars-recycle your Glass Jars or use Canning/Mason jars
- Certified Organic Chamomile Flower and Calendula Flower
- Certified Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil (scroll down)
Step 1: Fill your jar half full with a combination of the chamomile & calendula.
Step 2: Fill the rest of the jar with the Olive Oil, leaving about a one-inch space at the top.
Step 3: If using a metal lid, place a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the jar, then cap.
Step 4: Label, date and store in a cupboard or pantry for 6-8 weeks. Shake gently daily or occasionally.
Step 5: At the end of 6-8 weeks, use cheesecloth to strain the oil and discard the herbs. Be sure that the oil is free from all tiny herbal particles, this may indicate several strainings.
Step 1: Warm a small amount of oil in your hands before applying to baby’s skin.
Step 2: Use to heal, comfort, soothe & heal bottoms and to moisturize & condition skin.
Step 3: Add a touch to a warm water bath.
Step 4: Use to add glide for bonding massage time.
For Gift Giving:
Fill small bottles with the baby oil and either make a label or copy and print one of the two below, they are about the size of a business card.
Use a hole punch to create a hole in a corner or side, slip some ribbon or raffia through and tie to your bottle. Use the back to handwrite any additional info.
Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil attracts external moisture while still allowing for normal skin functions to take place. It is mild, gentle, healing and superior for baby’s tender skin.
Calendula has been used by Physicians to treat minor infections and skin irritations; it is extremely gentle.
Chamomile is confirmed by research to be useful in treating minor skin conditions, it is known to calm and is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
Store baby oil in a cabinet, closet or cupboard outside of the bathroom.
Take care not to get water inside the bottle, as this beautiful, natural & healing oil contains no preservative.
Homemade Baby Wipes – basic
- 1/2 roll of paper towels (cut in half to make short rolls)
- 1/8-1/4 c. baby shampoo – try Earth Mama Angel Baby
- 1/8-1/4 c. baby oil – try Earth Mama Angel Baby
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 plastic container that the rolls fit in
Step 1: Cut roll in half and remove center cardboard.
Step 2: In Baby Wipe Container, mix liquid ingredients, and place half of roll in container.
Step 3: Place on lid and tip upside down. To use, pull out from center.
The basic recipe for a homemade baby wipes will do good job but you may want to use a natural and herbal solution . The added herbs will help promote healing and help protect your baby’s delicate bottom.
Herbs to Add to Homemade Baby Wipes
- Calendula – Calendula is moisturising and is know to help heal rashes, burns, scrapes and other skin irritations. Calendula is a main component of many natural body care products.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is an amazing plant whose gel is used for treating burns and rashes as well as moisturizing.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and is also a fungicide. Tea tree oil is also a wonderful antiseptic oil. Add tea tree to almost every type of cleaning that you do. For example, tea tree facial pads are wonderful to clear up teenage acne.
- Lavender – Just the aroma of lavender can heal emotions and help relax and ease your tensions. It also helps to promote healing of the skin. It is said that the scent of lavender is a natural sleep aid too.
Calendula Baby Cream
- 2 cups calendula flower
- 1 cup comfrey leaf
- 1 cup chamomile flower
- 1 cup lavender flower
- 4 cups Sweet Almond Oil (Olive Oil works well too.)
- 1/4 to 1/3 grated beeswax
- 4 drips of Lavender oil
- 4 drips of Vitamin E Oil
Step 1: The first thing you must do is infuse the oil with the flowers. You may buy the flowers/herbs at a local health/natural food store. You may also buy these online. I recommend visiting LocalHarvest.org to find a herb provider in your area.
Step 2: To infuse, add the flowers/herbs to the Almond oil in a glass canning jar. Make sure cover is fitting tightly and then place the jar in a warm and/or sunny spot for 2-3 weeks.
Step 3: After the required time, strain the oil through some cleesecloth. Make sure you squeeze out all the oil.
Step 4: Using a double boiler, warm the oil for an hour on a low simmer then strain again if needed.
Step 5: Add the beeswax and keep warming until the beeswax is melted. I get my beeswax and honey from Tahuya River Apiaries They are GREAT.
Step 6: To make sure this will harden, transfer 2 tabespoons of the mix into a plastic container and pop in the freezer. Check the container and see if the mix has hardened. If it has not, you may want to add more beeswax. If the mix is rock-hard you can add more oil to soften it up.
Step 1: Add the vitamin E and Lavendar oils once you have the desired consistency and then transfer the mix into jars or tins as you like.
Natural Diaper Pail Odor Eliminator
- 1 cup of (white only) vinegar per two gallons of water.
Wash the diaper pail to neutralize the odors and to also neutralize the urine in cloth diapers.
Natural Herbal Healing Wipes
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups distilled water
- 1/4 cup Aloe Vera gel
- 1 TBS Calendula oil
- 2 tsp. Baby Shampoo – natural baby shampoo like the kind at EarthMamaAngelBaby.com
- 2-3 drops tea tree oil
- 2-3 drops lavender oil
Mix solution together and repeat the steps for the “basic” baby wipes.
Oatmeal Baby Bath
- 1 cup of whole oats
The most simple homemade baby care product is an Oatmeal Baby Bath.
It’s as easy as wizz oats in a blender then add to bath. Whirl oats in a blender or food processor until they are reduced to powder.
Sprinkle powder into the bath and swirl. You will be amazed at the softness of the water and of your baby’s skin..