Learn about eggplant and try some eggplant baby food recipe ideas too.
Eggplant in Baby Food Recipes - Learn When your Baby can Have Eggplant and How to Prepare Eggplant for Your Baby
Behold the purple wonder - as my kiddos have dubbed it.
The Goodness of Eggplant aka Aubergine
While the eggplant is not a nutrient packed powerhouse, it does contain a great amount of Vitamin A and Folate. Eggplants contain fiber, a very important part of any diet as fiber helps maintain bowel regularity. Eggplant also contains a wonderful amount of calcium and even some Vitamin K.
Cucumber - 1 small (6") cucumber
When to introduce Eggplant to your baby
Eggplant is best given to an infant between 8-10 months old. If your baby has had any digestive issues, it would be best to introduce eggplant without the skins. You can offer pureed eggplant or steamed eggplant as a finger food. Eggplant is versatile and may be mixed with a variety of other foods
How to select and store eggplant for homemade baby food
According to the EWG, eggplant is not one of the "dirty dozen" foods that are most highly contaminated with pesticides - purchasing organic is a personal choice.
Eggplants should be firm and a bit heavy. Choose only those eggplants that have smooth and shiny skin. The color, no matter which color you purchase, should be very vivid. An eggplant that is discolored or has scars and bruises is not a good choice. These blemishes may indicate that the flesh inside the eggplant is damaged or even decaying.
Store eggplant carefully in the refrigerator; eggplants are a delicate vegetable. For longer storage, only cut the eggplant when you are ready to cook or otherwise use it.
The best way to safely prepare Eggplant for Baby Food
When cooking eggplant, you may either steam, fry/sautee, or bake it. Steaming it may be the best method if you plan on serving eggplant to your baby. Steamed eggplant tends to become very soft and tender (and sometimes mushy) so it makes a great finger food too.
Eggpalnt Baby Food Recipes Ideas
Eggplant- Basic Purée
1. Wash and peel eggplant. Deseed as needed
2. Cut into 1 inch pieces and steam until tender and mushy.
3. OR slice eggplant in quarters and bake in a 375 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes or until tender.
4. Place into your choice of appliance for pureeing and begin pureeing.
5. Add water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency
Naked Eggplant & Cheese
grated cheese - as desired
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Slice eggplant in quarters, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a small amount of basil. Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until tender.
3. Sprinkle on grated cheese or take eggplant out of oven after 25 minutes and top slices with cheese, return to oven
4. Chop or dice for finger food - may be mashed or pureed
2 tblsp olive oil
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon basil
1. Peel and dice eggplant
2. Saute onions in olive oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add spices
4. Drain any remaining olive oil if desired
5. Serve alone or over noodles
Foods Good to Mix With Eggplant:
Summer Squash - zucchini or yellow/crooked necked